Friday, April 4, 2008

Allergic Reaction







Yesterday started out as any other day. After Tarrin left for school , The kids and I went outside so I could attempt to start pulling weeds and getting the yard cleaned up. After about and hour we got in the car and went to get lunch( I hadn't been to the grocery store for awhile)After we got back, Wyatt and Trey played outside with the neighborhood kids for another couple of hours until it was time to come in and get cleaned up. Wyatt was having fun so he was whining that he had to come in. After he took a bath, I notice that he was acting kinda funny. He asked me to feed him his pizza. I thought this was rather odd considering he had been feeding himself for about four years now. I looked at his hands and noticed that they were very swollen. He also had hives all over his body. None of my kids have ever had hives so I was a little concerned. Wyatt told me that his hands started hurting when we had went to get lunch. I don't know why he didn't tell me sooner.

I gave him some Benadryl and contemplated calling the doctor. I did a little research on the Internet and decided to watch him for any other symptoms. I was worried throughout the night and gave him more Benadryl when I fed Maisey at her 3 a.m feeding. This morning I woke up to find his swollen hands looked a lot better.

When I was getting Wyatt ready for school, I pulled up his shirt to find hives all over his body(much worse than the night before)and decided this was enough. We drove to the doctor right away. When we were waiting in the doctors office, Wyatt started complaining that his foot hurt. I took off his sock and shoe to find that his foot was very swollen.

The doctor took a look at him and told me he was having a pretty severe allergic reaction. Wyatt had been taking Amoxillion for an ear infection. He told me to stop giving it to him. He prescribed Omnicef because his ear was still infected. I was a little shocked because Wyatt had, had Amoxicillion a number of times before with no reaction. The doctor said it didn't matter you can have a reaction at any time. He also told me to keep giving him Benadryl and I could give him Claritan in case it was caused due to allergies from outside. It's hard to pinpoint what can cause an allergic reaction because it can be a number of things. For now I am supposed to watch him and take him to the E.R if it gets a lot worse. He said it can take a couple of day's for the symptoms to go away. So I guess for now it's just a waiting game. The picture of his foot was taken about a half hour ago. His left foot is pretty swollen. Wyatt's not a very happy camper right now. He is itching a lot and kinda drowsy from the meds.

4 comments:

Coombs Family said...

oh my heck, that's so scary. i would be freakin out not knowing what to do. I hope he get's better quick, that;s no fun.

Tara Bergsjo said...

That is so scary! I didn't know that they could have an allergic reaction to something after you had had it before! Keep me informed on how he is doing.

Amy said...

That is so horrible. Hives are the worst! I hope he gets feeling better soon.

P.S that new picture of Maisey on the sidebar is so adorable. my new favorite!

Fiagle Family said...

So do they think it was just the meds or are they going to test him for other things? Our friends kid was really allergic to nuts and then 2 yrs later was fine..allergies are so random. I hope he is doing better