Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Miracle





I thought I better write this down while it is so fresh on my mind and also because I have been so emotional lately and I'm hoping that it might help me to process everything so that I can move on. I know that that sounds so silly considering what can there be to possibly process other than the fact that I was in a huge car wreck with my daughter Maisey and miraculously we both walked away from it with minimal damages. The pain medication was great and helped me to get through the first couple of days but now that I don't need them anymore and the numbness that I have been feeling has wore off and now the vivid memory of what Maisey and I have gone through has set in. I guess I should start from the beginning..

Thursday the 22nd started out as any regular Thursday by getting the boys off to school and getting Maisey ready for Preschool. I car pool to Preschool with my friend Janelle and her cute little girl Laynee. I decide to drop them off and head to the gym for a little bit and then went home to shower and get ready to go and pick the girls up. As I was leaving the sub division I stopped and chatted with a couple of neighbors and then left so I wouldn't be late to pick the girls up. As I was driving my friend Janelle called me to let me know that she needed to run to the store so she would just pick up Laynee. I got there a little early and chatted with Janelle until the girls came running out of school. We said goodbye and I put Maisey in her car seat and I in mine and started for home. Maisey was excited because they had learned the letter I that day and she got to learn all about insects. I told her that she better call her dad and tell him all about it.

As I started down 2700 N I was in a good mood and looking forward to spending the day with Maisey and getting some things done around the house. Maisey was still talking to Kevin on the phone. Suddenly I heard a loud noise and a sudden jerk and then I felt us flying through the air and then landing on the passenger side then the drivers side then the passagers side until we had rolled three times and then landed right side up. I didn't know until later that we were actually air born the whole time. The car never did land on the roof. All I remember is seeing my mirror getting crumpled and glass flying. I remember my thoughts like it happened seconds ago. You wouldn't think that I would think much in just five seconds but I did. I have never in my life prayed with such earnest. I prayed that Maisey would be okay and I remember praying over and over the same thing Please let her be okay.. Please let her be okay! In that moment nothing else mattered.

When my car finally came to a stop and thankfully right side up. It took me two seconds to unbuckle my seat belt and jump out of the car and check on maisey. At this point she was crying and looked like a ghost, She looked okay so I unbuckled her and took her out and held her and thanked my Heavenly Father for watching over her. I looked her over and she didn't have a scratch on her. I then remembered that Kevin was talking to her on the phone and must have heard the whole thing! I knew that he would be frantic. A cute blond haired girl took Maisey from me and hugged her and told her it was going to be okay while I went back to the car and looked for my phone. There was glass everywhere and I knew I wouldn't be able to find it so another sweet girl let me use her phone and I quickly called Kevin and told him where we were. Later he told me how he could hear the whole thing. He knew we were in an accident and could hear the car rolling and had no idea where we were. After another man went and grabbed my other sandal that had flown off my foot the paramedics arrived. A couple of the ladies from Preschool had also stopped and made sure I was okay. A mom of a little girl that Maisey goes to preschool with was there and was like an angel to me. She told me she would stay with me as long as I needed her to. Even when I was sitting in the ambulance answering questions I could see her out there waiting for me and making sure that I didn't need anything. I will always remember her kindness and how she took such good care of us until Kevin was able to make it. Janelle saw the wreck and ran up to Kevin to make sure that we were okay. I will always be grateful that Laynee wasn't with me at that time.

The ambulance drivers suggested that we be taken to the hospital in the ambulance but I knew that we were okay and didn't want to scare Maisey anymore than she already was. Kevin arrived shortly after and looked frantic. I can only imagine what was going through his head at the time. We had to sign some forms and then Kevin took Maisey and I up to Ogden Regional to get looked at. I will never forget the kindness of all the people who stopped to help and who filled out the reports on what had happened. An older lady had ran right through a stop sign and had hit the back end of my Escalade on the drivers side and had sent us rolling through the air. I know there was another vehicle involved but am not sure how it got hit.





Maisey and I both got C.T scans and they looked good. While we were waiting we noticed a bump on Maiseys head that we had not seen before. Other than that she looked good and just wanted to get home to play with her friend Hannah. I learned a couple of things from this experience and it is to listen to your husband. I was always bugging Kevin about getting something smaller and low on gas but he wouldn't budge. He finally told me that he wanted me in that vehicle because it was safer for me and that he didn't mind paying more for the gas. Well he was right. I don't think I would be here if I would have been in something smaller. Second is wear your seat belt always and always, always have your kids strapped in and in appropriate car seats. All it takes is one time. Maisey and I wouldn't be here today if we didn't have our seat belts on and Maisey wasn't in a car seat. Words cannot express how grateful I am to my Father in Heaven. I don't know what I am supposed to learn from this trial but I am sure in time I will figure it out. I hope in time that I won't be so scared and that I can look at this experience as the miracle that it is. I love my children so much and want them to be safe that I think this whole experience has made me realize that I am not the one who is in control. I have to put my faith in the Lord and know that it is his will. Thank you so much for all the comments and texts and phone calls. We are truly blessed by the people around us. All I can say is that this was truly a miracle. I know that we were watched over and I know that my Heavenly Father loves Maisey and I very much.

8 comments:

Lovin Life Together said...

I'm so glad that everything was ok. That is so scary. Heavenly Father for sure has plans for you and that sweet little girl. He was watching over you that day. What a miracle!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Wow!!! That is soooo super scary!! You poor thing! So glad you and your sweet little girl are ok! I can't believe that happened!! That truely is a miracal and I can only imagine the fear you must of had for your daughter. We really take for granted how fragile life is while we are hurrying through our busy day. Reading this has inspired me to be much safer as I drive and to always make sure everyone is securely buckled. Thanks for sharing this story. So glad both of you are safe!

Amanda said...

Oh, it made me cry. Thanks for sharing the details of your experience--so scary! So glad you are both ok. Missed you today, but I am so glad you are getting the rest you need.

Marty and Kim Bergsjo said...

I was so glad that you were ok. If you need anything please let me know. Love you.

emandtrev said...

I am SO glad you are okay. How incredibly horrifying This definitely brought tears to my eyes. Hugs!!

tbergsjo said...

I have been thinking of you so much lately. Thank you for sharing the details. I love you so much and am so glad you and Maisey are ok. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Fiagle Family said...

we are so glad you guys are ok. Being in an accident can be so scary and then to have to still drive is frightening. I cant imagine with maisey in there too! miss you all

Lisa said...

Sooo glad you guys are ok! What a miracle! Things like this really make you step back and realize how grateful and blessed you truly are! Someone is watching out for you guys! So glad your good!